Dear Chamber of Commerce Members and Area Residents:
I am honored to serve as the 2020 President of the Chanute Area Chamber of Commerce & Office of Tourism. My family and I have chosen Chanute as our home and we want to help make our hometown the best it can be.
The Chamber has been serving the businesses and citizens of Chanute for more than 90 years. The Chamber is often seen as the “front door” of our community, providing a link between many sectors. I believe strongly in the Chamber’s “connecting the community” tag-line. Some of the ways we make connections include the following.
Our Membership Committee makes connections by:
- looking for ways to involve Chamber members in Chamber activities,
- reaching out to new businesses to tell them about our community and the benefits of Chamber membership,
- recognizing the accomplishments of Chamber members,
- representing the Chamber at ribbon cuttings, business after hours and other events.
The Chamber Connections luncheon make connections by:
- learning about and promoting Chamber and community activities,
- educating the community on the diversity of Chanute’s business community,
- providing an opportunity for networking among members.
The Economic Development Committee makes connections by:
- working with Grow Neosho County, the Chanute Regional Development Authority and Main Street Chanute to make Chanute a strong can-didate for new and expanded businesses,
- communicating with Chamber members to determine their needs,
- promoting the use of Chamber Gift Certificates (Chamber Bucks) that have sent more than $1 million back into our community since the program’s inception,
- promoting the services and products of new and established companies,
- supporting Chamber members with marketing and promotion of their businesses.
The Legislative Committee makes connections by:
- helping to ensure that Chamber members and all citizens are informed about legislative issues,
- hosting candidate forums and legislative coffees,
- advocating as appropriate on matters that impact Chamber members.
In addition, we are working with USD 413, Neosho County Community College and Chamber members on a program that will pro-vide an opportunity for more involvement between students, teachers and businesses. Stay tuned for more information soon. The Chamber will remain involved with regional and state organizations that help us to speak with one voice on issues affecting all of southeast Kansas. This involvement benefits everyone. A coordinated, proactive approach will move Chanute, southeast Kansas and the state of Kansas to even greater accomplishments.
As part of our community outreach and fundraising activities, the Chamber holds four events annually – the Annual Meeting where awards are presented and new and retiring board members are recognized, the Jesse Jackson Mayor’s Prayer Breakfast on the National Day of Prayer that brings the community together for a time of reflection, the Chamber Golf Tournament that provides a fun day of golf in support of the Chamber and, new to this year, Chanute Trivia Night where fun meets brain power! I hope you will join us at these events.
The Chamber remains committed to meet the expectations of its contract with the City of Chanute to manage tourism services. We are pleased to announce that the tourism grant program has been reinstated. Also, the Safari Family Fun Day that brings people to down-town Chanute will continue this year.
While we’ve said this numerous times before, it remains true. The Chamber would not exist without its members, their financial sup-port is what keeps our doors open. Their time, energy and counsel are what keep the organization viable. The connection with our members is the foundation of all the Chamber does. From the newest to the smallest to the oldest to the largest, the Chamber wants to serve all busi-nesses. We are all connected and invested in making Chanute an even more outstanding community.
Chanute has many strengths as well as the potential for even more success. I am committed to that success and to making the Chamber an even stronger organization. I need your help to make this happen. I invite you to join me in 2020 as the Chamber continues to do what it does best – Connecting our Community. We welcome your input and your involvement.